Diversity & Inclusion
At United, we believe that the rich diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that make up our workforce of more than 87,000 employees allows us to deliver great service and products to our customers around the globe.
We are committed to creating a workplace where all employees feel included and empowered to make a measurable difference in our success. Our policies, benefits and recognition programs are designed to reward and support the success of our diverse workforce. We are committed to reflecting each of the communities we serve.
Awards and recognitions
- We earned a 100% rating on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index and named a "Best Place to Work" for six consecutive years
- Recieved the Business Leadership Award from Equality Illinois
- Illinois Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) Pro Patricia Award
- Named one of "America's Top Corporations for Women Owned Business Enterprises" for six consecutive years by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council
Diversity & Inclusion engagement events
We honor history and traditions of our diverse employes through special programs and celebratory events. Some of the highlights include:
- Martin Luther King Parades – Atlanta, Houston, Denver and San Francisco (January)
- African American History Month (February)
- Women’s History Month (March)
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (May)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Pride Month and Pride Festivals (June)
- Puerto Rican People’s Parade – Chicago (June)
- Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 – October 15)
- Disability Employment Awareness Month (October)
- Diversity Awareness Month (October)
- Native American Heritage Month (November)
Executive Diversity Council
Our Executive Diversity Council is comprised of officers and senior leaders from across the company who are committed to acting as champions of diversity and inclusion for all employees. The Council supports efforts to recruit a diverse workforce and promote an inclusive work environment.
Business resource groups
To help advance our goals for diversity and inclusion, we also support several employee-run business resource groups. Each group — LGBT, Multicultural, Veterans, Women and Millenials — helps increase awareness and understanding of cultural issues and opportunities for employees, while nurturing our diverse talent, enriching the our culture and contributing to our performance as a company.
When you have operations and employees across the globe, the notion of supplier diversity reflects an entirely new meaning. We recognize the profound impact a positively managed supplier diversity initiative can have on the customers and communities the we serve, and continually seeks out opportunities to build partnerships with diverse suppliers. United has a longstanding legacy of supplier diversity leadership and visibility in the community. The airline is a proud member of:
- Chicago United
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- The National Minority Supplier Development Council and their affiliate councils
- The Women’s Business Enterprise National Council and their regional partners
Community and business partnerships
United's partnerships with organizations provide opportunities for strategic collaborations, educational programming and joint marketing. In 2016 we supported a great number of different organizations. Some of our partnerships include: